Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dog and Cat Instinct


About a month ago, my wife and I decided to get a new member of our family... (My wife and I with 2 cats name Stevie and Eva), a new dog. My wife pretty much did all the research and shopping around and we finally found what we wanted and it happens to be a pointer breed with a mix of lab. As part of our preference we wanted a younger dog and the one we found happens to be an 8 months old, Samantha. As part of the family, we wanted her to be comfortable with not just my wife and I but also with the rest of the family...Eva and Stevie. Fortunately, pointers breed are even-tempered, congenial dogs happiest living indoors as part of the family. They are affectionate and loyal and more importantly, they can happily co-exist with other dogs and often cats. Knowing that gave my wife and I some relief that our cats (Stevie and Eva, both female) would live happily with our dog. Currently, we have passed the process of introducing them to each other and from what I could see, we are in the stage of having them get accustom in the same room. Stevie and Eva are about the same age, a little over two years, while Samantha is still considered a puppy (a big puppy, should I say), in other words, she's still hyper and playful and she's doesn't know that our cats are not comfortable with her yet, although she takes it as they are playing (hissing, or running away from her) with her. Stevie shouldn't take that long to get use to her since she could be the most friendly and patient cat I've ever met. She's actually responsible for taking care of Eva and also having her getting accustomed to social environment. On the other hand, Eva is the shy type and gets scared easier which makes her self-defense level high although she's very mellow. It would take just a little longer to get Samantha get along with Eva compare to Stevie, but in the end and in the long run, it would be one big happy family.

I thought of this situation as similar to the arrival of AI to the Pistons. No matter how great AI could mesh with the Pistons and vice-versa how versatile Pistons can adopt just any type of player in or out of the league, it won't be a 1 or 2 day transition, it will take a little longer. Given enough time, everyone will be on the same page.



No comments: